Skip Navigation LinksHome > FSA > Residence Life - FAQs

Residence Life - FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about Residence Life at CCC

We are now accepting housing applications for Fall 2017!  Sign up by July 31 and save $600.

2017-2018 Housing License Agreement

What is my mailing address? How do I get mail at the residence halls?

The mailing address is as follows:
Student Name
14 Dormitory Drive
Plattsburgh, NY 12903

Getting mail is easy! The mailroom and mailboxes are located in PARC Dining Hall. Residence Life Staff oversee the mailroom and a staff member is available Monday - Saturday from 5 - 7 pm if you have any questions or need to pick up a package.  Please ship things to the halls using USPS or FedEx.  If you need to sign for the package, it is the responsibility of the student to make arrangements with the company.

Can a Housing License Agreement be Canceled?

The housing contract, once it has been signed, is a legally binding document and is so for a full academic year consisting of a fall and spring semester. Students are responsible for both the fall and spring semesters unless they transfer or no longer attend classes at Clinton Community College. Students wishing to cancel or void their housing contract must submit an Exception Request To Live Off-Campus for Residence Hall Students and write a letter to the Director of Campus Life, 136 Clinton Point Drive, Plattsburgh, NY 12901. Appeals will be heard by a Housing Appeals Committee. As a general rule, the Committee needs to see a very clear and compelling case in order to make an exception to the policy. The Committee will consider appeals that fall into the following categories: medical, financial, and other circumstances. Judicial removal and a drop to part-time status within a semester does not constitute grounds for appeal of your contract.

What is the Housing Deposit?

The housing deposit is $200. It secures a room for you and it also covers any incidental charges that may occur while you are residing in the residence halls. These charges can include, but are not limited to lost keys, lock out charges, individual room damage, and community use area damages. At the end of your time in the residence halls, you will be refunded the difference.

What is “common use area damage"?

This is damage or vandalism that occurs in an area that is freely accessible by the resident on that floor, building or the entire complex. This could be in the hall, lounge, stairwell, laundry room, dining hall or outside. There is a difference between a harmless prank and a destructive prank. It is expected that as part of a community, all residents will take pride in their surroundings. And by taking pride, students will not tolerate others defacing or vandalizing what is essentially their home for 9 months. If damage does occur and it cannot be determined who is responsible, the community (as determined by the Director of Campus Life) will be held equally responsible.

Why do residents have to purchase a meal plan?

Resident students are required to purchase one of two on-campus meal plans. This insures access to high-quality, nutritious meals. Many students attending college for the first time are not experienced with time management. Having a meal plan relieves the student of the responsibility of shopping, cooking, and cleaning up after meals, thereby allowing for more quality academic pursuits. Furthermore, residence halls are not equipped for students to prepare their own meals, with the exception of signing out the Cumberland hall kitchen at night while the resident assistant is on duty. A low-cost, high-quality dining program requires a solid financial base, and our residence hall students provide that base.

What about "Personal Property Insurance"?

The college does not take responsibility for losses suffered on campus because of fire, theft, water damage or other cause. It is therefore, advisable that all students who will reside on campus, check the extent of their current home insurance or seek coverage through a special policy. The risk of having personal property in a college residence hall is accepted entirely by the student and not the college or university. STUDENTS SHOULD KEEP THEIR ROOM DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES. Suspicious visitors should be reported immediately and unaccompanied strangers should NEVER be let into the residence halls.

What can be done about the level of noise on a floor?

Students are expected to confront other individuals who are infringing upon their right to study or sleep. Resident Assistants (RAs) are available to help maintain a reasonable level of quiet on the floor. However, RAs should not be expected to be the sole policy enforcer on the floor, therefore, students are encouraged to practice the skills they will need to be self-sufficient adults. When asked to settle a noise situation, RAs are likely to ask the resident if she/he has made any attempt to resolve the situation. If the resident has made an attempt and did not receive an adequate response, the RA will assist in intervention. If the resident has not made an attempt, the RA is likely to encourage her or him initially to discuss the matter with the student in question. Students who continually show disrespect for the rights of others and/or refuse to cooperate with requests to keep the noise level down are referred to the judicial system for disciplinary action. Repeated violations could lead to a student's loss of eligibility for campus housing.

What if a maintenance problem occurs?

For non-emergency services, students are asked to fill out a Maintenance request form. The maintenance team will handle the request on a priority basis as they come in. For emergency needs, the resident should contact security, the Residence Hall Director or the Director of Campus Life immediately.

Are there any storage facilities?

There are no storage facilities available in the residence halls to leave your things for the summer. Items unclaimed after the end of the semester will be discarded at the discretion of the FSA. (See "What about Insurance?" above.)

We do provide fridge storage the week of finals.  In order to use this storage, you must submit your housing license agreement for next year.  Fridges that are not picked by the end of the first week of classes in the fall will be donated.

Bicycles may be stored in student rooms, not hallways or lounges. However, bicycle racks are available outside many residence halls and academic buildings. Residents are free to leave belongings in their rooms over break periods (not including summer session) but are encouraged to take valuables with them.

If I have a physical disability that requires special housing, what should I do?

Contact our office and we will work with you to find a situation which will best accommodate your needs.

What are the dimensions of my room?

Room - 16x10 feet
Space under a high bed - 29.5 x 80 inches
Space under a low bed - 13.5 x 80 inches
Sheets - twin size (75 x 38 inches)

May I bring a refrigerator? What about other appliances?

Yes, students are permitted to bring a mini-fridge (no larger than 4.0 cubic feet) and may only have one fridge per room. Electric appliances with exposed heating elements are not permitted. Rice cookers, toasters, George Forman grills may NOT be used in the residence halls. Coffee makers are allowed as long as they have an automatic shut-off feature. Students are allowed to bring their own microwaves as long as they are under 750 watts.

How do I request a roommate or suitemate?

If you have a preferred roommate or suitemate, you may list that person on your Housing License Agreement under the section that asks if there is any other information we should know about you. If you have already submitted your agreement without listing a preferred roommate or suitemate, simply email Sarah L. McCarty and we will make every effort to place requested roommates or suitemates together. Please note that roommates or suitemates must be mutually requested (i.e. each roommate must request the other).  This also depends on the availability of remaining rooms when the request is made.

Are there any floors that are designated quiet living?

Yes, currently we offer quiet living on the third floor of Cumberland Hall. Quiet hours are extended on this floor for students to focus academically. If you are interested in living on this floor, simply indicate it on your housing agreement. Note: All floors are substance free.

What happens if I don't get along with my roommate or suitemates?

The quality of the relationship between roommates is a major determining factor in your satisfaction with college life. Some of the primary components of a positive roommate relationship are the assertive expression of one's needs, the recognition and respect for the unique needs and lifestyles of others, and the positive management of conflict. Students are expected to take primary responsibility for insuring the development and maintenance of positive roommate relationship. Students are strongly encouraged to invest themselves fully in working together with roommates to resolve any differences by speaking directly to roommates in sharing concerns, expressing feelings in an honest manner, and jointly negotiating a resolution to conflict. On occasion, a student will attempt to resolve problems by talking to a roommate who is unresponsive. In other cases, a student may be having a difficult time approaching the roommate. In either of these situations, the student should seek the help of their Resident Assistant, Residence Director or Director of Campus Life. Residence Hall staff members can assist students in expressing themselves to their roommates or assist in negotiating a living agreement.

Is alcohol allowed on campus?

No. Consumption of alcohol is not permitted in the college residence halls. Alcohol events or parties are not permitted. Empty alcohol containers are also not allowed, even as decoration.

Are animals allowed in the residence halls?

NO pets, except for fish.  Note: Pets besides fish are NOT allowed on any FSA property at any time, unless the pet has special permission from the Director of Campus Life or the Dean of Student Affairs.

What happens when a Residence Hall rule or policy is violated?

Students who violate policies can expect to experience the consequences of those decisions. Generally, a student will be referred to the Director of Campus Life. If the incident is confusing and requires investigation, the student is a repeat violator, or the situation is particularly serious a judicial hearing may be scheduled. If a violation is determined, the hearing officer(s) will decide on sanctions or consequences appropriate to the case. Sanctions may include but are not limited to, a reprimand, a reprimand with conditions, probation, a community service, suspension or dismissal.

What should I bring with me?

Click on the What to bring to college list. 

Please note: This page is intended only to provide guidance and advice. We realize that each student and situation is unique and we will treat each as such.