Students Bill of Rights

The State University of New York and Clinton Community College are committed to providing options for students to ensure their rights and to address their concerns. Please see below the procedure and resources for:

  • Students' Rights Under New York state Education Law Article 129-B — Enough is Enough Legislation.
  • Student complaint procedure for academic matters.
  • Student complaint procedure for administrative/college life matters.

Students' Rights Under New York state Education Law Article 129-B — Enough is Enough Legislation

Clinton Community College provides support and assistance to victims/survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and/or stalking to ensure that they can continue to participate in College -wide and campus programs, activities, and employment. All victims/survivors of these crimes and violations, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction, have the following rights, regardless of whether the crime or violation occurs on campus, off campus, or while studying abroad:

All students have the right to:

  1. Make a report to local law enforcement and/or state police;
  2. Have disclosures of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and sexual assault treated seriously;
  3. Make a decision about whether or not to disclose a crime or violation and participate in the judicial or conduct process and/or criminal justice process free from pressure from the institution;
  4. Participate in a process that is fair, impartial, and provides adequate notice and a meaningful opportunity to be heard;
  5. Be treated with dignity and to receive from the institution courteous, fair, and respectful health care and counseling services, where available;
  6. Be free from any suggestion that the reporting individual is at fault when these crimes and violations are committed, or should have acted in a different manner to avoid such crimes or violations;
  7. Describe the incident to as few institutional representatives as practicable and not to be required to unnecessarily repeat a description of the incident.
  8. Be free from retaliation by the institution, the accused and/or the respondent, and/or their friends, family and acquaintances within the jurisdiction of the institution;
  9. Access to at least one level of appeal of a determination;
  10. Be accompanied by an advisor of choice who may assist and advise a reporting individual, accused, or respondent throughout the judicial or conduct process including during all meetings and hearings related to such process;
  11. Exercise civil rights and practice of religion without interference by the investigative, criminal justice, or judicial or conduct process of the College.

Options in Brief:

Victims/survivors have many options that can be pursued simultaneously, including one or more of the following:

  • Receive resources, such as counseling and medical attention;
  • Confidentially or anonymously disclose a crime or violation (view detailed information on confidentiality and privacy).
  • Make a report to:
    • John Borner, Dean of Student Affairs and Title IX Coordinator, or Sarah L. McCarty, Director of Campus Life,  or Campus Safety, 518-593-0777
    • New York State Police - 563-3761, Plattsburgh City Police - 563-3411
    • Clinton County Family Court - 518-565-4658

If your case has not been resolved by the college, you can submit your student life concern to SUNY or contact the New York State Department of Education.

Complaint procedure for academic matters

Please see academic grievance procedures page

Complaint procedure for administrative/college life matters

Clinton Community College recognizes there may be times when a student has a concern regarding an administrative (non-academic) matter or believes they may have not been treated fairly. The college has a process for students to use to attempt to address their concerns. All students have the opportunity to participate in this process and to receive assistance in seeking resolution of their concerns.

A student who would like to pursue a complaint regarding a College issue and is uncertain where to begin the process, should begin with the Dean of Students Affairs, 518-562-4121 for referral to the appropriate office. 

The following steps are advised to resolve an administrative (non-academic) student complaint:

  • Consult with a staff member who has responsibility for the issue in question. If an understanding or resolution is not reached, the student may then…
  • Consult with a supervisor of the office or unit for a resolution of the complaint. If a resolution is to be appealed, the student may then…
  • Schedule an appointment with the Dean of Students to review an appeal process.
  • The written appeal, detailing both the complaint and the results of the consultations with the staff member or supervisor should be delivered to the President’s Office.

Determination/disposition of an appeal:

The President’s Office will respond to the written appeal within 30 days of receipt. The student will be notified in writing.

If a student is not satisfied with the college’s response, they may submit their student life concern to SUNY or contact the New York State Department of Education.