Establishing Residency for Military Personnel

There are special considerations for military personnel to establish in-state residency for tuition purposes:

  1. Members of the U. S. Armed Forces who provide documentation showing that they are on full-time active duty and stationed in New York State shall be charged in-state tuition regardless of the actual location of their domicile. Spouses and dependents of full-time active duty personnel stationed in New York State shall also be deemed New York State residents for tuition purposes.

  2. Dependents of a parent or legal guardian who is a full-time active member of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed out-of-state will qualify for in-state tuition provided that the parent or legal guardian submits proof of a New York State residency, referred to as a "Home of Record." Such records are on file at the person's military base.

  3. Civilian employees of the military and their dependents are not eligible for exceptions 1 and 2 above.

For further information on establishing residency to determine the cost of tuition, please refer to the Bursar's Office page on completing your bill or contact the Bursar's Office at (518) 562-4135 or (518) 562-4134.