How to Use Your GI Bill® Benefits

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at


Any member of the military (active duty), veterans or veteran-dependents that qualify for GI Bill® benefits must apply for benefits through the (U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs) VA's website .  

*After applying for benefits it takes 6 - 8 weeks before you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail.  This Certificate of Eligibility is your proof that you are indeed eligible to receive funds under the GI Bill®. 

Check the status of your application, via the GI Bill® hotline:
               1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

  1. Provide a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to CCC's Certifying Official (Financial Aid).  You will be given a Request for Deferral.  A signed Request for Deferral is what you will need to defer any portion of your college bill.  You should apply for benefits through the VA no later than 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester if this is your only available method of payment.  
  2. Call (518) 562-4170 or visit the Admissions page to apply.
  3. Request a military transcript from either the JST system or CCAF if you are a veteran, on active duty or in the reserves.   
  4. Apply for financial aid and scholarships - Call (518) 562-4125 or visit the Financial Aid page.  Register for classes (You will be notified from the Admissions Office as to when and where to do this as a part of your acceptance). Notify CCC's VA certifying official (Financial Aid) that you have registered for classes and are requesting to be certified to receive VA-related benefits (such as the GI Bill® and Vocational Rehabilitation) by filling out the Request for Certification of VA Education Benefits form. The form can be found in your CCC student portal [under Administrative services on the left hand banner.] To find out what amounts you should expect to receive from the VA once you are certified by the college's certifying official, please consult with the following:

    1. If you are receiving funds under Chapters 1606, 1607, 30 or 35 of the GI Bill®, please review the monthly rate chart that applies to you on our Monthly Rates of Payment.
    2. If you are receiving funds under Ch. 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®), please refer to Chapter 33 Rates.
    3. If you are receiving funds from Ch. 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation,  please consult with your assigned Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor at state/regional office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  5. Meet with your academic advisor (once you are assigned one during the first few weeks of your first semester attending CCC). If you need to speak to an advisor about your academic plans, please contact our Academic Advising & Student Support Office  by calling (518) 562-4128 or  visit their web page.
  6. Notify CCC's Veteran Certifying Official (Financial Aid) of any change in status and/or course(s) once you have registered for your courses and have been certified as any of these changes could affect the status of your certification and subsequent financial benefits. 
  7. Register for classes each semester and notify VA Certifying Official (Financial Aid) that you wish to use your VA benefits by submitting a Request for Certification of VA Education Benefits form in your CCC student portal for that semester.