Admissions FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

In order to be admitted to a degree program one must have a high school or general equivalency (GED) diploma. Applicants are advised to complete a GED course prior to applying to Clinton. Without a high school or general equivalency diploma applicants may attend Clinton in non-matriculated status, limiting their access to financial aid.

The New York State Education Department has ruled that an IEP diploma is different from a high school diploma in that it is not an indication of successful completion of high school study. Therefore community colleges, including Clinton, are under no legal obligation to accept students under the terms of the New York State Full Opportunity Policy. Without a high school or general equivalency diploma applicants may attend Clinton in non-matriculated status, limiting their access to financial aid. Once a GED has been earned students may be accepted at Clinton Community College and have access to financial aid. 

Clinton Community College offers open enrollment which means that an individual will be enrolled in an academic program if he/she has earned a high school diploma or GED. Admission is non-selective with the exception of the Nursing Program. Admission into the Nursing Program is selective and requires a separate application along with the general college application. Click here for more information on the Nursing Program.

 A full-time student is enrolled in 12-18 "semester" hours of study per semester.
All matriculated (degree seeking) students must have official (in sealed envelope) transcripts sent from your high school and each previous college attended. Transcripts are required from all colleges from which you took courses, including those taken during high school, and courses that were not passed or completed. A copy of a GED will be accepted in lieu of high school transcript.
Yes. Our advisors can do their very best advising when they have access to your academic history. We want to provide you will all the support you need so that you can get off to a great (and fresh!) start at CCC. We want to help you meet your academic goals!  
Each semester, newly accepted full-time students will receive information/dates for placement testing and Registration. We have several opportunities from May - August for the fall semester and October - January for the Spring semester to complete your Placement Testing and register for courses. In addition, we offer limited dates which allow you the opportunity to complete both the test and registration on the same day.

New full-time students will meet with an advisor to discuss program requirements and specific course offerings. With assistance from an advisor, you will select courses. Your advisor will then create your schedule based on your requests and course availability.  New part-time students are advised through the Counseling & Advisement Office. We encourage all students to complete this process as soon as possible. The sooner you complete these requirements, the more options you have for course selection.
Yes. New York State Public Health Laws 2165 and 2167 require that all students attending college and universities, who were born on or after January 1, 1957, and are registered for 6 or more credit hours, submit documentation of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR).

In addition, students meeting the above criteria must complete the Meningitis Information Response Form. Please note that it is NOT mandatory to get the meningitis shot, but NYS Law requires that each student complete this form and submit it to the Health Office.

Students enrolled in distance learning classes only, and not attending classes on campus, will be exempt from providing immunization records.

Documentation may be:

  • Faxed to the Health Office at (518) 562-4197
  • Mailed to the CCC Health Office,136 Clinton Point Drive, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
  • Emailed to Sandra Marland. 

For more information about specific requirements, visit the Student Health Records page or contact the college's Health Services Office. Your high school, previous college or physician's office are usually the best options to locate your immunization history. If you have questions, DO NOT WAIT, contact the College Health Office.

Yes. All full-time students who are new to CCC must attend our unique Orientation program. There are several orientation dates scheduled during the month of August, please contact the Counseling & Advisement Office at 562-4199 for further information.
Prior to the start of the semester, if changes need to be made to your schedule, you should contact the Counseling & Advisement Office at 562-4199 for assistance. Once the semester begins, students will be able to alter their schedule during the add/drop period with their advisor.
A.S. and A.A. degrees are designed to prepare students for transfer to four-year colleges to pursue a baccalaureate degree, and closely follow the first two-years of a four-year degree. A.A.S. degrees are designed to prepare students for career opportunities and immediate employment. There may be situations when A.A.S. prepared students pursue bachelor's degrees, however, these students should work closely with a faculty advisor or the Counseling & Advisement Office. An A.O.S. degree prepares students for immediate employment in a trade. Curriculum is based on the requirements of a specific occupation, and few general education courses are required.  
CCC has worked with several Bachelor's degree granting institutions to allow you to begin your study at CCC and transfer easily to a four-year institution (usually after two years and completion of your Associate degree) to complete the Bachelor's degree of your choice. The written agreements which we sign with these institutions ensure that you can begin any of a vast number of programs at Clinton Community College and then transfer to a Bachelor's degree level institution to complete your bachelor's degree work in your chosen field of study. Doing so makes earning a Bachelor's degree more convenient and will likely save you a considerable amount of money. Wherever you are headed as you pursue a college degree, your pathway can begin at Clinton Community College!
A joint admissions program has been established between Clinton Community College (CCC) and Plattsburgh State University (PSU). Students applying to CCC may request to be jointly admitted to PSU. When accepted into the joint admissions program, the student is accepted into an Associate Degree program at CCC and a Baccalaureate Degree program at PSU. Upon completion of the Associate Degree, the student is guaranteed a place in the junior class in a parallel program at PSU. Students in Communications Disorders and Sciences, Nursing, Social Work and all Teacher Education programs must maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or higher. Students may enter the program either during the pre-admission phase or during their first two semesters at CCC. CCC students in the Joint Admissions Program are considered as PSU students and will be allowed to participate in most PSU functions. The CCC student must complete his/her Associate Degree prior to transferring to PSU.
There are many convenient off-campus housing options for Clinton students. Click here to see some of the nearby options. 

Our Federal OPE ID# is 006787

Our State TAP School Code is 2036

Our CEEB Code is 2135

Having a felony will not have an impact on your admission. Applicants who have been convicted of a felony no longer need to provide additional information for admissions purposes. You will need to provide this information only if you intend to live in housing on campus or before you register for an internship or clinical studies. Then you'll need to fill out the Supplemental Form F, as well as provide a copy of your criminal record.(Click here for more information). Once we have received those documents they will be reviewed by our Review Committee.

Applicants who have been dismissed from another college for disciplinary reasons must complete a Supplemental Form D, which will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Committee.