If you previously attended other colleges, you must have official academic transcripts sent from those institutions. Often these requests must be in writing to the previous college's Registrar, and there may be a charge for the service. Failure to provide these transcripts could mean a delay in finalizing your admission to Clinton and/or a delay in the release of financial aid. The official transcripts are also required in order to transfer credit from prior institutions.
The amount of transfer credit accepted varies according to the curriculum requirements of the program being pursued; however, in every case a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours must be completed at Clinton Community College to qualify for a degree or certificate. Transfer credits may be awarded, at the discretion of the Registrar, for the following reasons:
- Academic credit earned at a post-secondary institution which is authorized by a state Department of Education to grant an Academic Degree. Grades of "C" or better will be transferred in to CCC. For grades less than "C", see policy on transfer of "D" grades below. "Pass" grades will be transferred in to CCC for credit, providing that the course and higher education institution in question meet transfer criteria.
- Credit earned through military service schools, based upon the recommendation of the American Council on Education regarding collegiate level courses.
- Credit earned through United States American Forces Institute (USAFI) courses, based on the recommendation of the American Council on Education.
- Credit by examination through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) when results meet the recommendation of the American Council on Education.
- Credit by examination through the College Proficiency Examination Program with a minimum grade of "C".
Transfer of credits do not affect the quality point average earned at Clinton Community College. Only credit hours are transferred, not grades or quality points.
General Education Credit
Consistent with SUNY policy, each incoming transfer student to Clinton Community College shall have satisfied a SUNY General Education Requirement (SUNY-GER) category as deemed fulfilled by the sending SUNY institution or if deemed equivalent, based on Clinton's course evaluation, when sent from non-SUNY colleges.
Life Experience Credit
To determine if your experience equals college-level learning and can be evaluated for college credit, please submit the Life Experience Inquiry Form.
Special Transfer Credit Policies:
- The Nursing Program will accept transfer credit for Bio 228 - Anatomy & Physiology I, Bio 229 - Anatomy & Physiology II, and Bio 204 - Microbiology, if the course was taken within the past five (5) years with a grade of "C" or better.
- Clinton Community College will only accept Anatomy & Physiology credit if both courses are taken at the same institution. In the event that only one course is taken, the credit will be accepted as biology elective credit only.
- The Department of Science at Clinton Community College (CCC) will accept transfer of a science course from another institution only if the said class includes a laboratory component. This class will be transferred as equivalent to the appropriate science class at CCC. If the transferred class incorporates a laboratory class, with no equivalent class offered at CCC, this class will transfer as a science elective credits. In the case where the transferred class does not incorporate a laboratory component the class will transfer as 'free elective' credits.
Policy on Transfer of "D" Grades
Clinton Community College may accept for transfer credit, a maximum of three (3) courses (not more than twelve credit hours) for which a student has earned a grade of "D". The request for "D" grade transfer must be approved by the student's advisor and the student must meet either condition A or B below:
- The student has completed a minimum of twenty-four (24) credit hours of study elsewhere with a grade of "C" or better for at least twelve (12) of the twenty-four (24) hours; OR
- The student has satisfactorily completed one full semester at Clinton Community College with the grade of "C" or better for at least twelve (12) credit hours of study. Please note: This policy does not override any curriculum specific policies.
Transfer of "D" Grade forms are in the Registrar's Office and must be completed and have required signatures. The form must then be given to the Registrar for processing.